(Tim: a series on beliefs about spirit beings in Zambian culture by David Wegener)
Editors note: Here is a lightly edited version of an advertisement for a Traditional Healer (taken off a tree) in our neighborhood. This doctor knows his clientele and the items he mentions are typical reasons why people come to see him. I'm still not totally sure what #9 means.
HERBS FROM AFRICA. HE WILL TELL YOUR PROBLEMS USING SPIRITUAL POWERS BEFORE YOU TELL HIM
CONSULTATION FEE IS K20,000 ONLY.
1. BRING BACK YOUR LOST LOVERS.
2. WE HELP BEWITCHED PEOPLE.
3. REMOVE BAD LUCK.
4. WE HELP PEOPLE WHO CANNOT PRODUCE.
5. WE HELP PEOPLE WITH HIV/AIDS SYMPTOMS.
6. TO WIN COURT CASES.
7. STOP YOUR LOVER FROM CHEATING ON YOU.
8. SUCCESS AND PROMOTION.
9. THINGS MOVING IN YOUR BODY.
10. BRING BACK STOLEN PROPERTY.
11. MENSTRATION PAIN.
12. BLOOD PRESSURE, TB, DIABETES.
13. ENLARGEMENT CREAM AND MAN POWER.
14. BUSINESS ATTRACTION.
15. NAME THE DISEASE.
16. FOR ANY ASSISTANCE CALL DR _________ ON